Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Creamy Vegetable Soup

No fancy title here, because there's nothing fancy here.  Just GOOD eating.

When I booked the state park cabin for the Christmas holidays, I wasn't expecting company.  I planned a retreat with my Bernina, The Dog, and my cross-trainers.  With that plan came good, nourishing food requiring minimal preparation and hearty flavors.  I planned for cold, even for loss of power.  I did not plan for company.

Sometime between booking and checking-in, DH decided to join me.  I sewed less, walked more, and had a continuously-stoked fire in the fireplace.  This was a blessedly simple holiday.

Creamy Vegetable Soup
which serves 12-16! 

While the ingredients list is long and the recipe a little fussy, it was ready in 30 minutes.

This version serves 2 generously (really, it's probably four servings, but we had just hiked 4 miles and were hungry). It also cleaned a few more things out of the refrigerator and freezer.  Also, two of my favorite words:  NO leftovers!

1/3 huge onion, chopped (about 1/2 c.)
2 T. butter
1 med. sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about 1/4" dice)
1/2 bunch broccoli (about 5 crowns), chopped
1 med. zucchini, chopped (sliced about 1/4" thick)
1 carton chicken broth
1 med. potato, peeled and shredded (I used a handful of uncooked hash brown potatoes from the freezer)
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt (I used less and adjusted at the table)
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 c. half-and-half (I used buttermilk)

Saute onions in butter.  Add sweet potato and broccoli; saute gently until crisp-tender (about 5 minutes).  Add zucchini and saute a minute or two longer.  Add chicken broth, simmer another 5 minutes.  Add shredded potato and all seasonings.  Cook another 10 minutes or until all vegetables are tender.  Stir in cream and heat through.

1 comment:

Jane in N.H. said...

Yes ! I will be making this soon . Yumalious !!!